Calming the Chaos





Most of us seem to have at least a bit of chaos in our lives.  Some of us more than others.  I fall in to the my life is always chaotic, sometimes just controlled chaos, but chaos nonetheless.  Two of my kiddos are very active with extracurricular activities.  Most week nights, we are running this way and that and I am super happy if we manage to have a home cooked meal before 8 at night. 


Right now, my desk is in the controlled chaos state. Piles and pile of advanced reader copies arrived today from several different publishers.  My to-be-read piles that I mentioned in my last blog post, have quadrupled.  I know the mess is there, but I am putting the books in boxes and they will head home with me today.  Yay, my desk will be cleared, at least until Monday, when more orders come in to be processed. 

As I’ve been working my way through catalogs, I have noticed how many more books have been written on mindfulness, finding calm and how to be happy.  For every adult book I see, I see at least one book aimed towards kids.  It’s great that publishers have recognized a need among readers and have added so many titles to their line.  I am noticing a few more quirky offerings as well, and of course I order them for the store, because we do well with quirky. 









The Big Book of Less: Finding Joy in Living Lighter” by Irene Smit and Astrid Van Der Hulst.  This interactive book has pullout pamphlets, suggested activities and helps you finding joy in little things, as well as declutter your house and life. 


“Mindfulness on the Go: 52 Simple Meditation Practices Youcan do Anywhere” by Jan Chozen Bays.  This has been a bestseller for us.  Grab a card once a week, follow the instructions and see what happens.  

“Mindful Kids: 50 Mindfulness  Activities for Kindness, Focus and Calm” by Whitney Stewart and Mina Braum.  This deck for kids has been another great seller for us.  


Two books that I’d like to mention are not so much about finding the calm and controlling chaos but offerings of advice. “Crazy Cat Lady"” by Agnes Loonstra and Ester Scholten.  Bright pictures, cute captions, interesting facts, just a delightful little book. Plus, cats.  The Little Instruction Book for Dogs” by Dannyboy and Kate Freeman.  This book offers advice to dogs, along with delightful illustrations.


Comments